Life being under-employed.
I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What is underemployment?

Wikipedia has three different definitions for underemployment. The first and second definitions regard either working in a position that under utilizes a person's skill set and talents, but it also refers to involuntary part-time employment. The third has something to with employing workers who aren't "fully occupied." Sounds like a family business where weird Uncle Ted finally has a "job.

Yeeeeaaahh. We fit into the first and second definitions. Mike has an MBA and but he has a part-time job clearing wood. I have a bachelor's degree but I can't find a full-time job that uses my skill set.

While Wikipedia is a most respectable website for info (insert that new sarcasm icon here), I thought I would redefine underemployment.
Underemployment is:
listening to your acquaintances brag about their recent weigh-loss due to cutting out red meat, and thinking, "funny, we can't even afford red meat."
watching everyone's pets while they go all trips and vacations, saving them hundreds of dollars. Yet when it's time to repay the favor, they need to charge you for "supplies."
buying an infant seat cheaply. That is to say, used.
watching the horrified look on my MILs face when I buy food for us and the baby at the dollar store.
having the veggie boxes rebuilt is a major expense
squeezing the baby into the office for her nursery
renting DVDs from the library instead of going to a gym
forgoing gifts at all holidays and birthdays (except gifts for the kids)
using your tax return (it finally pays to be poor) to get rid of any debt, instead of going on a long awaited trip to Disneyland
only the older boy gets new clothes. Thank goodness the younger one doesn't care.
squeezing 5 people into a five seat car for a 10 day road trip sans fancy DVD player and video games.
feeling guilty for buying a $10 t-shirt at Costco

Ugh. I'm being such a Debbie Downer. Time for some postiive stuff.
Having three super cute and wonderful kids to bring a smile to my face.
a hubby who really loves me for me, despite my lumpy, un- gymed butt.
Stay-up-late parties with popcorn, treats and lots of blankets and pillows.
Sunday drives to see the natural beauty of our state
having in-laws who welcome us for a visit ANYTIME, handy since they are only a 5 hr. drive
little handyman jobs that come just when we need a little cash
a healthy family
Medicaid for the kids

1 comment:

  1. Sadly I can relate. It is always hard for me to buy myself clothes. I always feel like there are so many other things we need. Hopefully things are turning around :)

    ReplyDelete