Life being under-employed.
I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Job hunting

My DH is applying for another position. We always get asked how we find job postings. Let me tell ya, it sure is not the same thing as when I got out of college.

Searching classified on the Internet doesn't really pan out. Not unless you're into commission based sales, putting things together in your home or real estate get rich quick schemes. Some job sites are helpful, but it's tough to find the right type website.

Word of mouth is pretty dependable. Try to get a contact name or at the very least, a direct line to Human Resources. Then make contact with that person (another challenge is this web- based era); tell them when to look for your email, give 'em a number to call if they have questions.

The best way to go is going to a specific company's site and looking under "employment" or "careers." This can be time consuming. But, with a little luck, you'll see some postings that fit you and your past experience.

We've been considering hiring a head-hunter but how do you find one? They seem rather enigmatic. You hear of them, but what section do you look at in the phone book. "Head Hunter" doesn't work, I tried. "Find me a job, Dude" isn't listed either. Hhmm. Go figure.

'Course a head hunter would cost us mucho dinero but it's like an investment, no? I wonder if they take credit cards...


P.S.- the spellchecker didn't like my "hhmm," it suggested "hammy." Would you like some Hammy on that sandwich?

1 comment:

  1. Michelle...my husband is a head-hunter, aka: recruiter. He used to work third party but just started as an internal recruiter for a company so now he can only recruit for jobs within his own company. Anyway, your husband doesn't pay a dime to have a head hunter find a job...the client company that hires him pays the fee. Since my husband doesn't do it third party anymore, he can't be your husbands head hunter, but he would gladly give you a reference to one he trusts. (or give him tips on finding a job...not easy in this economic climate!) It is a tough economy out there right now! Call me if you want. My numbers in the ward directory.

    ReplyDelete